Addressing Challenging Behavior
Description of the teaching methods to be used.
This workshop will include the use of:
• Development of concepts and theories through didactic teaching and illustrative slides
• Hands-on opportunities to practice strategies through experiential art activities
• Demonstration and rehearsal through role play
Learning objectives of the course.
1. Describe 2 or more arts-based approaches for containing a challenging behavior exhibited by
a child or adolescent.
2. Demonstrate 2 or more arts-based interventions to promote interpersonal problem solving.
3. List 2 or more arts-based approaches to shift energy in children or adolescents.
4. Explain at least 1 benefit of arts-based strategies (compared to verbal strategies) when
addressing traumatic and stress reactions